MEXICO SECRETARY OF CULTURE,
TIJUANA CULTURAL CENTER (CECUT)
AND LUX BOREAL DANCE COMPANY
In the frame of Tijuana’s XXIV International Dance Festival:
Cuerpos en Tránsito (Bodies in Transit) 2023
XI Choreography Contest
4x4 TJ NIGHT
Aiming to incite the development of performing arts and trigger the general public with regard to dance and related disciplines, the Cultural Center of Tijuana and Lux Boreal call for artists to apply and present their work within the choreography competition: 4 x 4 TJ Night 2022.
The challenge is for choreographers and performers site specific work within the limited space allotted.
The jury will be composed of artists with proven experience in dance and other artistic disciplines such as theatre, literature, visual and fine arts. The jury will select the choreographers from the preliminaries that progress to the Grand Finale, which include the following prizes:
a) Best Choreography 4x4 TJNIGHT 2023: One indivisible prize: $35,000.00 mexican pesos
b) Honorable Mention for Choreography : $10,000.00 mexican pesos
c) Best Performer: $10,000.00 mn
During the Grand Finale, the audience will be voted for:
d) Audience Favorite Award TJ NIGHT 2023: $10,000.00 mexican pesos
1. This call is intended for scenic artists, dancers and performers from Mexico and abroad.
2. All preliminary events will take place within the Nightlife of the city of Tijuana, therefore it is mandatory that all participants must be 18 years of age before any preliminary ensues.
3. Eligible proposals, either contemporary dance or interdisciplinary scenic arts, are designed for a platform with a space area of 4 x 4 feet (1.22 x 1.22 meters) and 1 foot (30.5 cm) in height; considering an audience in an arena setting (360 degrees).
4. The challenge of the 4 x 4 feet stage limit will be taken into account
IMPORTANT NOTE: The proposal must be danced on the platform from start to finish; stepping off of the platform within the choreography calls for disqualification.
5. The minimum duration of the work to its competition is 6 minutes, and a maximum of 10 minutes.
In relationship to the time limit, chronometer starts counting when the first performer steps into the platform, and stops counting when the last performer leaves the platform.
6. There is no scenic performing allowed downside the platform area.
7. The work can be a premier or previously released and adapted to the 4x4 platform.
8. The work must involve a minimum of 2 performers on the platform. There is no maximum limit.
9. The 4x4 TJ Night Choreography Competition is part of the “Extramuros” program from Tijuana's Cultural Center, the semifinals of this competition will be held in up to four bar/nightclubs and/or alternative venues in the city of Tijuana, venues will be announced at the time of pre-selection.
10. Each work must be designed to appear in public places within the nightlife of Tijuana. The choreographers must anticipate uninterrupted general ambient lighting to the scenic area of the 4 x 4 platform.
11. In the case that the participant decides to use a platform other than the one provided in the competition, it must have the official measurements and the participant will take care of the logistics of positioning, removal and transportation of their own platform. Any proposal that puts at risk the integrity and security of the platform will be evaluated by the Selection Committee to decide its viability.
12. Any proposal that puts participants at risk will be evaluated by the Selection Committee to decide its viability.
13. All selected participants acknowledge that any and all performances on the 4 x 4 platform, including the nightclub semi-finals and the Grand Finale at CECUT, run at your own risk and responsibility.
14. The members of the jury to the Grand Finale reserve the right to declare “null” to awards (b) and/or (c) mentioned above.
15. Choreographies that have been performed in previous editions of 4 x 4 TJ Night will not be accepted.
16. The proposals selected for the Grand Finale, may not undergo changes. They must be presented exactly as the judges in the semifinals selected them.
17. To be accepted and preselected for the semifinals in the choreography contest 4 x 4 TJ Night 2022, participants accept all rules mentioned within this call.
18.The event organizer does not cover costs of transportation, logistics, accommodation or food for the participants.
19. Any situation out of frame within these guidelines will be analyzed and solved by the Organization Committee, for more information visit [special cases]
STAGES OF THE CONTEST:
Reception of Proposals:
From the launch of this call and until Tuesday, February 7, 2023, at 8:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).
Announcement of selected projects:
The selected proposals to participate in the contest will be announced on Monday, February 13, 2023, as well as the result of the draw for venues for the semifinals. This will be done through a press release and direct email.
The selected participants will perform according to the draw, between the days March 28 to 30, 2023, this will happen in nightclubs and/or alternative spaces in the city of Tijuana. At the end of the semifinal stage, the proposals to participate on the GRAND FINALE will be announced.
During the week of the contest, all the participants of the 4x4 TJ Night, who requests it, will be able to take the training classes with Lux Boreal Dance Company, at our studio.
Grand Finale 4X4 TJ NIGHT 2023:
The Grand Final of the X 4x4 Tj Night Choreography Contest will be held in the El Cubo Lobby of the Tijuana Cultural Center on Friday March 31, 2023 heading for the XXIV Tijuana/Body in Transit International Fest, with the performance presentation of each finalist and where the winners will be announced.
I. Register your proposal online at the following link: [SUBMIT APPLICATION] and attach the requested material. (The URL or link of the video of the work must be included, which must be completed in its entirety with duration of between 6 min. minimum and 10 minutes maximum, in a version adapted to the 1.22 x1.22 meter platform or 4x4 square feet). Works in process will not be accepted.
II. Registration can be made from the launch of this call and until the deadline of Monday February 7, 2023at8:00 p.m.(pacific time).
Upon completion of registration, the applicant will receive a confirmation of participation.
III. A Committee will be formed to select the proposals to participate in the semifinals stage.
Project supported by the National Fund for Culture and the Arts of Mexico